Why we're here:
This blog is to highlight the unjust persecution of legitimate non-TV users at the hands of TV Licensing. These people do not require a licence and are entitled to live without the unnecessary stress and inconvenience caused by TV Licensing's correspondence and employees.

If you use equipment to receive live broadcast TV programmes, or to watch or download BBC on-demand programmes via the iPlayer, then the law requires you to have a TV licence and we encourage you to buy one.

If you've just arrived here from a search engine, then you might find our Quick Guide helpful.

Disclosure

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Saturday 3 February 2018

TV Licensing Scam Refund Email Still in Circulation


It was almost a year ago that we first reported a scam email purportedly offering a TV licence refund.

We are disappointed to report that a lot of people appear to have been suckered in by the scam. There is definite confusion about the authenticity of the email in circulation.

We would remind readers that TV Licensing will never offer a refund out of the blue. TV Licensing is in the business of extorting as much money as possible from as many people as it can, irrespectively of their legal need for a TV licence.

In genuine cases where a refund is due, the customer has to go to extreme lengths to convince TV Licensing of that fact. TV Licensing never initiates the refund process. On the contrary, TV Licensing makes the refund process as difficult and time-consuming as it possibly can. It will always ask the customer to provide evidence to support their refund claim, even if that's nigh on impossible to do (like they've simply chosen to ditch the TV).

If you receive an email offering a TV licence refund then it is definitely a scam. Delete it immediately and do not be tempted to respond.

If you've found this article useful please share it with your friends and consider using our Amazon referral link for your shopping.

2 comments:

Ximena said...

I thought I would share my refund experience to you for help to other readers who are not sure what box to tick.
On my recent refund application, there was a limited choice of box to tick to claim a refund.
I selected 'I did not require my TV licence'
My reason/comment was as follows-
I am no longer receiving TV programmes on any sort of equipment and therefore my property will no longer require a TV licence.
I am within my rights to claim a refund for the remaining time I have left on my licence.
Evidence attached- I stated N/A

The refund cheque arrived after two weeks without any communication from them.
I had selected to have the money paid back into my bank directly but they chose to refund with a cheque.
The first part of my reason/comment was one you had recommended to use in an earlier posting.


Anonymous said...

They even do 3 months sectors for refunds so unless you cancel a license at the right time they will take 3 months off the refund if any is payable. That's why after I stopped paying the paedophile tax I watched for another 3 months but had a copy of my TV License printed off so if a goon came calling I would have shown him that or just said I am licensed for the next however long was left to run for the three months they took