Why we're here:
This blog is to highlight the unjust persecution of legitimate non-TV users at the hands of TV Licensing. These people do not require a licence and are entitled to live without the unnecessary stress and inconvenience caused by TV Licensing's correspondence and employees.

If you use equipment to receive live broadcast TV programmes, or to watch or download BBC on-demand programmes via the iPlayer, then the law requires you to have a TV licence and we encourage you to buy one.

If you've just arrived here from a search engine, then you might find our Quick Guide helpful.

Disclosure

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Saturday 28 October 2023

More TV Licensing Dirty Tactics Exposed: False Assurances Given to Vulnerable Customers

Evening Standard court reporter Tristan Kirk has been doing a splendid job recently of exposing more TV Licensing dirty tactics.

He seems to have been paying a particular interest in uncontested prosecutions via the Single Justice Procedure, having obtained various examples of mitigation provided by customers accused of TV licence evasion.

Tristan has published the mitigation sections from two completed Single Justice Procedure notices.

The first relates to a single mother from Middlesbrough, who was interviewed under caution by Capita TV Licensing goon Julie Snowball.

Her mitigation reads as follows: "I did not realise that my TV licence had ended when Julie Snowball told me when she came to my address.

"I set up a payment plan for fortnightly payments. I received an email on 20th September with my payment plan dates. I was on the understanding that I would receive a payment card in the post, which I have not.

"I am a single mother on Universal Credit and Child Benefit. If any outstanding balances can be taken from my benefit please can I arrange that.

"I should have kept track of payments, hence why I wanted fortnightly payments with a card."

It would appear that this unfortunate lady has been given false assurances by the TV Licensing goon that visited her property - "set up a payment plan now and that'll be the end of the matter" - despite TV Licensing policy being quite clear that no such assurances can be given.

A second case relates to the case of a disabled Hull woman.

Her mitigation reads as follows: "When the man came to my house I didn't have the TV on.

"I only missed a couple of payments and he said that was fine and he would start me on a new payment scheme.

"I got the letter through the post about how much to pay and I paid £15 on 25-8-23 and I am paying the same every month.

"I get ESA of £220 a fortnight and I also get PIP as I am classed as disabled."

Again, it would appear that the goon who visited this lady gave her the false assurances that all would be well if she set up a new payment plan.

Despite TV Licensing claims that prosecution is a last resort, no out of court alternative was offered in either of these cases.

Tristan highlights that this sort of unscrupulous behaviour is not uncommon. He questions the public interest in prosecuting individuals who are vulnerable and in cases of genuine oversight or financial hardship.

Time and time again we have heard cases of TV Licensing goons telling downright lies on the doorstep, some of which make it as far as their completed Record of Interview forms presented in court as evidence.

TV Licensing simply cannot be trusted.

It employs some throughout unscrupulous individuals, who have a clear pecuniary advantage in obtaining "evidence of evasion" by fair means or foul.

If a TV Licensing goon calls at your address, by far the best option is to totally ignore them and immediately close the door.

Do not be lulled into a false sense of security of make the mistake of trying to assist TV Licensing with its enquiries.

We'd refer any newbies to the unscrupulous world of TV Licensing to our Quick Guide page.

If you've found this article useful please consider liking us on Facebook, following us on Twitter or downloading our free ebook.

No comments: