Why we're here:
This blog is to highlight the unjust persecution of legitimate non-TV users at the hands of TV Licensing. These people do not require a licence and are entitled to live without the unnecessary stress and inconvenience caused by TV Licensing's correspondence and employees.

If you use equipment to receive live broadcast TV programmes, or to watch or download BBC on-demand programmes via the iPlayer, then the law requires you to have a TV licence and we encourage you to buy one.

If you've just arrived here from a search engine, then you might find our Quick Guide helpful.

Disclosure

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Saturday 12 June 2021

TV Licensing Email Says I've Been Watching iPlayer When I Haven't

TV Licensing has sent an email wrongly accusing an innocent man of watching BBC iPlayer without a valid TV licence.

Reddit user Ginge04 explains: "I rent a flat in addition to my main property which I share with my girlfriend in order to be closer to work.

"The main property is covered by a TV licence, but the flat isn't as I do not need one.

"Recently, I've received a couple of emails from TV Licensing to say they have evidence I've been watching iPlayer and give me a link to buy a licence.

"This simply is not true. I have not watched iPlayer in the flat, nor have I streamed any live TV.

"I have used iPlayer on my devices, but only in either the main property or my parent's house.

"There is no way I can see to dispute their claims. The only link on the email is to make me buy a licence which I have no intention of doing."

This is another classic example of TV Licensing kite-flying.

The way it works, TV Licensing falsely claims to have evidence of wrongdoing - which it cannot possibly have in this case and thousands others like it - in the hope that the mere threat of prosecution is enough to spur a legitimate non-viewer into paying for a TV licence they do not legally need.

TV Licensing speculatively churns out thousands of letters and emails like this single day. TV Licensing knows fine well the pernicious effect correspondence like this has on people, but it couldn't care less as long as the money keeps rolling in.

It's a bit like that nasty ransomware stuff you get on your computer - the stuff that flashes up saying "we have evidence you've been watching illegal content" when you absolutely have no such thing.

The ransomware continues "send us £1,000 or we'll alert the police"; TV Licensing instead says "buy a TV licence now to avoid £1,000 fine and a criminal record".

If you receive a TV Licensing letter or email like this, then rest assured that as long as you are complying with the legislation - which you probably are - you need take no further action. Just ignore it and file it in the bin with all other TV Licensing correspondence.

Please see our earlier article on TV Licensing kite-flying for more information.

Remember that anyone who does not legally require a TV licence, is under no legal obligation at all to TV Licensing. They should not feel coerced into submitting to TV Licensing's legally baseless threats and innuendo.

If you've found this article useful please support us by liking us on Facebookfollowing us on Twitter or downloading our free ebook.

1 comment:

Terminator said...

I believe they do the letters saying you have watched something on IPLAYER in the hope some will say well yeah I watched a show but that's it. People have to login to the BBC if they want to comment on the have your say topics or Sounds. Maybe a few people have a look at the IPLAYER and browse the content on it but don't watch any content.

A couple of years ago a friend got a letter saying he had watched content through IPLAYER only his flat doesn't have an aerial and he uses the catch-up services from ITV, CH4 & CH5 through his internet plus he uses a VPN to watch streaming services in other countries.
He sends their letters back to them with return to sender and I don't watch Paedo's or subscribe to any organisation that funds them.