Why we're here:
This blog is to highlight the unjust persecution of legitimate non-TV users at the hands of TV Licensing. These people do not require a licence and are entitled to live without the unnecessary stress and inconvenience caused by TV Licensing's correspondence and employees.

If you use equipment to receive live broadcast TV programmes, or to watch or download BBC on-demand programmes via the iPlayer, then the law requires you to have a TV licence and we encourage you to buy one.

If you've just arrived here from a search engine, then you might find our Quick Guide helpful.

Disclosure

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Sainsbury's Freeview Purchase

A couple of days ago I turned on the TV to find my Freeview box on the blink.

It may seem strange for someone so vocally opposed to TV Licensing but as a regular viewer I am correctly licensed. As I said in my About page: that I comply with the law is no way condoning the sinister and deceitful tactics that the BBC and TV Licensing employ in the name of licence fee enforcement.

I really can't do without TV so I headed straight to the shops to buy a replacement. As someone with a TV licence opportunities to express my disdain to TV Licensing are few and far between, but this purchase provided one such occasion.

My travels took me to Sainsbury's where I saw just what I needed to feed my 24 hour news addiction. Armed with cash I headed straight to the self-checkout where I proceeded to scan my new Freeview box. It was no surprise when the till beeped with "approval needed" and a young shop assistant approached. Having rehearsed a comical address I was ready to fend off the invasive questions I knew were heading my way.

He punched in his PIN and the screen prompted him with some mysterious code, which he obviously didn't understand. He removed the security tag and with few more button presses I'd made my cash payment, bagged my goods and was making for the door. He never asked for any details, but even if he had I wasn't going to provide any having now completed the purchase.

What an anticlimax.

Apologies to Sainsbury's - I hope you don't get fined £10,000 on my part!

1 comment:

33_hertz said...

Interesting.
I have bought a couple of TVs and other tuner gear with debit and credit cards in the last few years, given my details correctly etc.

The TVs were for video editing only and Playstation use. The other items were presents for others.

I haven't come to any grief over it at all, I just ignore all contact completely and I haven't had a dirty letter from TVL in 6 months.

Long may it continue hahaha!

;-)))