Why we're here:
This blog is to highlight the unjust persecution of legitimate non-TV users at the hands of TV Licensing. These people do not require a licence and are entitled to live without the unnecessary stress and inconvenience caused by TV Licensing's correspondence and employees.

If you use equipment to receive live broadcast TV programmes, or to watch or download BBC on-demand programmes via the iPlayer, then the law requires you to have a TV licence and we encourage you to buy one.

If you've just arrived here from a search engine, then you might find our Quick Guide helpful.

Disclosure

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Saturday 18 July 2015

BBC Radio Boss Leaps to Defend "Under Threat" Stations


The Director of BBC Radio has leapt to the defence of Radio 1 and Radio 2 amid concerns that output could be cut.

Helen Boaden, the hapless executive at the helm of BBC News during damaging Savile cover-up allegations, said that the stations offered "invaluable support to the UK music industry".

Her comments came only a day after the Government began a comprehensive review of BBC services, prior to the renewal of the Corporation's Royal Charter on 1st January 2017.

The Culture Secretary, John Whittingdale MP, is keen to see a BBC fit-for-purpose in the digital age where the consumer has much more choice that at the start of the current Charter period.

The Government has highlighted that Radio 1 and Radio 2 have a sizeable audience crossover and lack the individuality of smaller national stations like 6 Music. Radio 2 is the BBC's largest national station, with a weekly reach of just over 15m listeners.


According to Boaden, less than 10% of the tracks played on Radio 1 can be heard on its closest commercial equivalent, Capital, and around 60% of songs played on Radio 2 were not heard on any comparable commercial station.

The Controller of BBC Radio 1, Ben Cooper, said: "I am concerned that we are being used as poster boys for the green paper, but I believe we have the strongest arguments to clearly lay out to both listeners and opinion-formers that we are an integral part of the cultural landscape of this country.

"I’m really surprised they chose Radio 1 and Radio 2 to focus on. I have spent three and a half years refocusing the station to represent youth culture in the UK."

Boaden has called on BBC Radio listeners to add their voice to the debate.

If you've found this article useful please consider using our Amazon link for your shopping or downloading our free ebook.

Get our latest posts straight to your inbox: Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya TVL Blog. Can I just say that I love what you do. I cancelled my TV license and went LLF about 2 years ago thanks to advice I read of your site. Is there any way I can make a donation to show my support? Martin

Admin said...

Hello Anon and thanks for visiting.
We also appreciate your kind comments about our articles.
We do not directly accept donations, but you can show your support by using our Amazon link for all of your normal Amazon purchases. The cost to you is exactly the same as if you visited the Amazon site directly, so you're effectively supporting our work at no cost to yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys, I too only watch catch up tv, and not that much either. I canceled my licence too last year. I'm not that against the BBC or a fee, but I am against the maffia threat of you can't watch ANY live tv if you dont pay for the BBC upkeep. This is frankly blackmail, and I'm suprised that the goverment can get away with this still. Why the other TV channels havent challenged this is a mystery to me.
But now the goverment wants to change the law again to make us pay for ALL catch up too, just goes to prove our choice is being taken away again.
I look forward to being keep up to date via this blog, many thanks to all involved.