Why we're here:
This blog is to highlight the unjust persecution of legitimate non-TV users at the hands of TV Licensing. These people do not require a licence and are entitled to live without the unnecessary stress and inconvenience caused by TV Licensing's correspondence and employees.

If you use equipment to receive live broadcast TV programmes, or to watch or download on-demand programmes via the BBC iPlayer, then the law requires you to have a licence and we encourage you to buy one.

If you've just arrived here from a search engine, then you might find our Quick Guide helpful.

Tuesday, 5 August 2008

TV Licensing for Students

In our previous post, TV Licensing Law, we established that:
  • Rental properties of joint occupancy (e.g. each of the occupiers' names feature on a single tenancy agreement) are considered a single property for TV licensing purposes.
  • In rental properties of multiple occupancy (e.g. where each individual has their own tenancy agreement) a licence is required by each occupant intending to use a television (or other licensable equipment) in their own room. An additional licence is required to cover equipment in communal areas of the property.
Student halls of residence fall into the second of these categories, meaning a student requires a licence if they intend to use a television in their own room. The university or college administering the property is usually responsible for licensing equipment in communal areas.

In the case of accommodation rented from a private landlord the number of licenses required will depend on the terms of the tenancy agreement.

Only 12-month licences are available, but these can be surrendered early for a partial refund if the television won't be in use (e.g. during the summer holidays).

Students using a television powered solely by its own internal battery are covered by the licence of their home address and do not require an additional licence.

More information is available on the TV Licensing website.

No comments: