Why we're here:
This blog is to highlight the unjust persecution of legitimate non-TV users at the hands of TV Licensing. These people do not require a licence and are entitled to live without the unnecessary stress and inconvenience caused by TV Licensing's correspondence and employees.

If you use equipment to receive live broadcast TV programmes, or to watch or download on-demand programmes via the BBC iPlayer, then the law requires you to have a licence and we encourage you to buy one.

If you've just arrived here from a search engine, then you might find our Quick Guide helpful.

Wednesday, 6 August 2008

TV Licensing for Hotels, Guest Houses and Campsites

A television licence is needed for a hotel, guesthouse or campsite where any staff or guests use television receiving equipment to watch television programmes as they're being broadcast to members of the public.

Each unit of accommodation, mobile unit or other area in which television receiving equipment is installed or used must be covered by a licence.

The licence fee is based on the number of units of accommodation or mobile units used as accommodation in which television receiving equipment is installed or used.

For up to 15 units a single standard licence fee of is payable. For more than 15 units, a single standard fee is payable for the first 15 units and an additional single standard fee for every extra 5 units (or part thereof).

The law says a hotel is any establishment offering accommodation consisting wholly or mainly of units of overnight accommodation for guests staying no longer than 28 consecutive nights.

A unit of overnight accommodation includes a room, caravan, tent, movable dwelling or any other structure in which a person can be accommodated overnight as provided by your establishment. Pitches and third party owned units (e.g. owner occupied caravans) are units of accommodation.

If you offer more accommodation to long-term guests (staying longer than 28 consecutive nights) than to short-term guests (staying 28 consecutive nights or less), you do not qualify as a hotel. However, you may still qualify as a provider of mobile units.

The hotel must be situated on just one premises or site. A public road, highway or railway dividing a site will create two or more separate sites. Buildings including houses not owned by the hotel but on the same site may also divide the hotel. Separate applications must be submitted for each premises or site.

If your establishment qualifies as a hotel, your licence will cover the installation and use of all television receiving equipment in guest rooms, the proprietor's on-site private living areas, on-site staff accommodation, common rooms and any other areas that are part of the same establishment and on the same site.

Mobile units:
The law says a mobile unit is a unit of overnight accommodation provided to guests by the same person and operated from the same place.

A mobile unit is any unit offered or used as overnight accommodation for guests and capable of being moved easily from one location to another. A unit will generally be regarded as being capable of being moved easily if:

  • It's on wheels or wheels can be easily attached to it, or
  • It's motorised or a motor can easily be attached to it, or
  • There's another design element that makes it easy to move.

  • If you qualify as the provider of mobile units, your licence will only cover the installation and use of television receiving equipment in mobile units. It will not cover any other type of guest accommodation or communal or other additional areas.


    Anonymous said...

    I have one single converted outbuilding in my garden, converted into 4 accommodation units and used as Holiday Lets. Do these self-contained units qualify for the "Hotel and mobile units" rules whereby one licence fee covers all four units? It's all one building, with internal walls dividing up the units.

    admin said...

    Thanks for your comment Anon.

    As the units are self-contained then I believe, technically, speaking they would each need a TV licence. However, if you don't tell TV Licensing about the arrangement, I doubt they will ever find out.