Why we're here:
This blog is to highlight the unjust persecution of legitimate non-TV users at the hands of TV Licensing. These people do not require a licence and are entitled to live without the unnecessary stress and inconvenience caused by TV Licensing's correspondence and employees.

If you use equipment to receive live broadcast TV programmes, or to watch or download BBC on-demand programmes via the iPlayer, then the law requires you to have a TV licence and we encourage you to buy one.

If you've just arrived here from a search engine, then you might find our Quick Guide helpful.

Disclosure

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Thursday 7 August 2008

TV Licensing Correspondence

In a previous post, No TV Licence Required, I mentioned that the legal occupier of any property without a television licence could expect TV Licensing to ask them why.

TV Licensing work on the principle that you're either correctly licenced or you're a licence evader. They refuse to accept at face value any declaration that you haven't got a television, which is why they'll try and make an invasive confirmatory visit anyway.

As soon as TV Licensing notice that you haven't got a licence you can expect to receive an incessant stream of reminder letters most of which are offensive, patronising and accusative in tone.

Here are some recent examples:
April 2008:

May 2008:

June 2008:

July 2008:

You'll notice that TV Licensing barely acknowledgement that the recipient might not be using television receiving equipment and therefore might not need a licence. You'll also notice that TV Licensing offer no apology for unnecessarily bothering those people who do not require a licence.

Remember that you are under no legal obligation to respond to any of these letters. If you decide to reply voluntarily there's no guarantee that TV Licensing will leave you in peace - in fact they probably won't.

Edit: Watchkeeper picks apart the content of one of these threatograms in a future post.

Related posts:
TV Licensing Rights of Access

4 comments:

Bentley said...

I have been reporting for 4 years now that there is no-one living at this address it is waiting for demolition and re development but STILL I get threatning letters about your Enforcement Officers coming round - well let them come I have had enough! What a waste of time, I only phoned about 3 weeks ago and received another letter this morning! This isn't a question of being crossed in the post, surely yor records can be updated within a week of me ringing you!

Anonymous said...

Tv Licensing came round and tried to make us get a TV licence we told him we have a TV but watch catch up and also rang TV Licensing and told them that he had been and informed them we only watch catch up and not to send him around again

Unknown said...

I had 2 capita men come with 2 police officers today with a warrant for to licence. I've previously called them and told them I do not watch live or any BBC I dispise the BBC. They sent people out twice before and I told them the same thing an eventually they sent a letter confirming I didn't need a licence. If they will use my sky box to assume I watch there pooh and try to prosecute me in court then will buying a licence now until may when sky script runs out and I can throw it away. Will this stop them prosecuting me???

Anonymous said...

I have no problem with law enforcement, but the process on the web is convoluted, not fit for purpose, and backed by childish threatening correspondence which I imagine must be frightening for some innocent members of our society. My situation is very simple. I own two houses and paid for two licences. I am now selling my second house; it is unfurnished and I cancelled the licence for that address when it became unoccupied. But to enter this on the web I have to declare when I expect it will next be occupied! I wish I knew!! Never mind the suggestion I might be liable if they find a squatter (I admit unlikely in my case).

So 'an investigation into my property has now begun'. It reminds me of my return from Germany (military service) in 1986, the BBC knocked on my door the day after the removal van had dropped off my boxes, of course my TV was still unpacked..... Thankfully.

David F